Recipe by Sharon123
No fish fry is worth it's salt without hush puppies! So don't forget these nibblers at your next feast! Add 1 jalapeño pepper (chopped) for a little heat!
Top Review by francoroni
I used brown rice flour instead of regular flour, rice milk in place of regular milk. Mine ended up way too dry, so I added an extra egg and an extra 1/4 cup milk or so. They held together really well for frying, but could have had a bit more moisture for texture in the end. I would also have liked to add some cayenne pepper.
- 1 -1 1⁄2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup firm meaty chopped tomato (like roma)
- 3⁄4 cup diced green onion
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 7 ingredients in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine egg and milk; add to dry ingredients.
- Stir just until moistened.
- Add tomato and green onions.
- Pour oil to depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven or large saucepan; heat to 375°F.
- Drop batter by rounded teaspoonfuls into oil; fry in batches 2 1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels; serve immediately.
- Yield: 3 1/2 dozen.