Montana Heart Song's Note:
I love to cook with tomatillos! They have a unique sharp citrus flavor similiar to a lime. I can tame it down with sugar or heighten the flavor with lime zest. This recipe is low cost and can feed many. I love it with bow tie pasta. All the minced pieces in the sauce stick to the bow ties. I had to feed 8 on a moments notice and I grabbed these ingredients....it worked! Serve with fruit. This could easily be adapted for vegetarian meal without the chicken. If you half the recipe cut the onions,tomatillo and chicken in half, nothing else. Leave the liquid and spices as is.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatillos, husked, thinly sliced, minced
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2-1 teaspoon sugar
- 1Put all of the sauce ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Set aside.
- 2Put all broth ingredients in a medium pan with lid. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer, cover and cook about 15 minutes. Add a little more water to the broth ingredients to insure there is 1 1/2 cups after cooking.
- 3Save broth, dice chicken off bone, throw away the skin.
- 4Measure 1 cup broth and put broth and diced chicken with sauce ingredients.
- 5Bring sauce to a simmer.Cook for about 5 -6 minutes. Taste.
- 6Add more sugar or salt and pepper if desired.
- 7In a small cup add cornstarch and little water to dissolve, mix.
- 8Add to simmering sauce. Stir until thickened.
- 9Pour over drained pasta or serve as a gravy with potatoes or rice.
- 10Toss to mix.
Browse Our Top < 30 Mins Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All < 30 Mins Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Onion Tomatillo Cream Sauce With Chicken - Pasta - Potato
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 416.7
- Calories from Fat 96
- Total Fat 10.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.7 g
- Cholesterol 99.3 mg
- Sodium 174.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 61.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 18.8 g