Recipe by Montana Heart Song
I love to cook with tomatillos! They have a unique sharp citrus flavor similiar to a lime. I can tame it down with sugar or heighten the flavor with lime zest. This recipe is low cost and can feed many. I love it with bow tie pasta. All the minced pieces in the sauce stick to the bow ties. I had to feed 8 on a moments notice and I grabbed these ingredients....it worked! Serve with fruit. This could easily be adapted for vegetarian meal without the chicken. If you half the recipe cut the onions,tomatillo and chicken in half, nothing else. Leave the liquid and spices as is.
Top Review by karen in tbay
Loved this recipe. It's been a tomatillo marathon to catch up with the harvest from a dozen plants and most recipes are with the extra heat with peppers except yours. A very nice change and definitely a make again. I followed sauce ingredients but for the meat broth I used 2 big turkey thighs with 2 1/2 cups water and simmered for an hour. I increased the amount of cooked broth plus some extra tetra chicken broth so mine was abit on the liquidy side which was okay. Also used leftover cooked egg noodles and it was probably less pasta than what was called for but it all came together great and tasted fab.
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatillos, husked, thinly sliced, minced
- 3⁄4 cup evaporated milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon instant minced onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 -4 chicken thighs
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash black pepper
- 16 ounces bow tie pasta
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Put all of the sauce ingredients in a medium sauce pan. Set aside.
- Put all broth ingredients in a medium pan with lid. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer, cover and cook about 15 minutes. Add a little more water to the broth ingredients to insure there is 1 1/2 cups after cooking.
- Save broth, dice chicken off bone, throw away the skin.
- Measure 1 cup broth and put broth and diced chicken with sauce ingredients.
- Bring sauce to a simmer.Cook for about 5 -6 minutes. Taste.
- Add more sugar or salt and pepper if desired.
- In a small cup add cornstarch and little water to dissolve, mix.
- Add to simmering sauce. Stir until thickened.
- Pour over drained pasta or serve as a gravy with potatoes or rice.
- Toss to mix.