Recipe by Nana Lee
From Bon Appétit, December 2005, by Bruce Aidells and Nancy Oakes These popovers are like individual Yorkshire puddings. To make a dozen large popovers, just double the recipe and use two pans. Companion recipes are Standing Rib Roast With Porcini and Bacon Sauce, Porcini and Bacon Sauce, and Horseradish Cream Sauce.
Top Review by swissms
I made to serve with beef roast. I used the following cooking method from Cook's Illustrated: Heat oven to 450F. Measure 1/2 teaspoon fat into each cup and place pan in oven to heat for 3 minutes (fat will smoke). Working quickly, remove pan from oven, close oven door, and divide batter evenly among 12 muffin (or popover) cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Immediately return pan to oven. Bake, without opening oven door, for 20 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake until deep golden brown, about 10 minutes longer. Remove pan from oven and pierce each pudding with skewer to release steam and prevent collapse. Using hands or dinner knife, lift each pudding out of tin and serve immediately.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup finely grated parmesan cheese, plus
- 1⁄2 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 8 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 2⁄3 cups whole milk, room temperature
- 3 large green onions, finely chopped
- 2 2⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brush twelve 1/3-cup (standard) nonstick muffin cups or six 1-cup (large) nonstick muffin cups with 3 tablespoons melted butter; dust with 2/3 cup cheese.
- Beat eggs to blend in large bowl.
- Beat in milk and green onions, then remaining 1/2 cup melted butter.
- Blend flour, salt, and remaining 1/2 cup cheese in medium bowl; gradually whisk into egg mixture (some small lumps may remain).
- Divide batter among muffin cups.
- Bake popovers without opening oven 'til puffed and crusty brown, about 38 minutes for small, 48 minutes for large; turn out of pan and serve hot.
- Makes 12 small or 6 large.