Recipe by Leslie in Texas
This is originally from a 1995 Gourmet magazine. We like it as a side dish with anything grilled ( it's wonderful with steaks!) or roasted. It's a different sort of side dish and is always well received.
- 8 bunches scallions, cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces,including some tops,about 16 cups (green onions)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and butter a shallow 1 1/2 quart baking dish.
- In a skillet, cook scallions and garlic in butter over moderate heat until scallions soften, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in cream and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese; transfer to baking dish.
- In a skillet, heat oil over moderately high heat until hot, but not smoking.
- Saute bread crumbs, stirring until golden brown, about three minutes.
- Transfer breadcrumbs to a bowl and cool.
- Add remaining Parmesan cheese and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top casserole with breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake, uncovered, in the middle of oven until hot, 15-20 minutes.