Prep 10 mins
Cook 18 mins
These are a very tasty savory biscuit that are always a big hit! They are also great as sandwiches with a slice of meat and a bit of mustard.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups thinly sliced green onions (usually, one bunch at the grocery store)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix the cream and green onions in a medium bowl.
- Add the cream mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Stir until moist clumps form.
- Transfer the dough to a floured work surface.
- Knead just until the dough holds together, about eight turns.
- Shape into an 8-inch square.
- Cut out sixteen 2-inch square biscuits.
- Transfer the biscuits to a large baking sheet, spacing about 1-1/2 inches apart (or, space 1/2-inch for soft-sided biscuits).
- Brush the tops of the biscuits with the melted butter.
- Bake the biscuits until golden and cooked through, about 18 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- The biscuits can be made 8 hours ahead: Cool.
- Wrap in foil.
- Store at room temperature.
- Re-warm wrapped biscuits in 350°F oven until heated through, about 8 minutes.
Just finished making these for lunch at work, (I'm a cook). I only had 3/4 cups of whipping cream and used half and half for the rest. Instead of green onions I chopped up broccoli and carrots and also added about 1/2 cup of cheddar. I brushed them with butter when they came on of the oven. Everyone loved them, in fact they were discribed as "heavenly". Thanks for a great recipe!