Prep 25 mins
Cook 0 mins
My boyfriend and I were brainstorming what would make a great summer salad and the idea for a cilantro pesto with all green vegetables came to mind. It was a joint effort coming up with the concept. It's fun and yummy too. I am lactose intolerant so I omitted the cheese, but that would increase the flavor for sure if added. Also substituting any pasta, grain, or rice would be great too. The sauce too can be interchangeable with all types of sandwiches, pizza, etc.
cilantro pesto sauce
- 1 bunch chopped fresh cilantro, no stems
- 1⁄4 cup toasted pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 2 tablespoons roasted chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, add more if necessary
- 8 ounces pasta, cooked and chilled (star #54 style)
- 1 cucumber, quartered and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup sugar snap pea, halved
- 5 green onions, sliced green parts only
- Put all cilantro ingredients into food processor or blender and blend until creamy.
- Boil pasta, drain.
- Mix pesto with pasta until well incorporated. Chill one hour.
- Add vegetable mixture, stir.
- Salt to taste and serve.
This is a great recipe and very adaptable. In my case I used pine nuts for the pesto, and used broccoli, zucchini, and red peppers for the veggies (OK, so I deviated from the "green" theme a wee bit--LOL!) My choice of pasta was spinach fusilli. Can't wait to try this idea again with the sugar snaps as I just did not have room for them! Thanks for posting. :)