Recipe by SweetySJD
This is a good warming soup, perfect for those chillier nights during the summer. Very healthy and vegan if you leave off the parmesan cheese.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb leek, rinsed and diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 1 tablespoon water
- 6 -8 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup small shell pasta (alphabet is fun)
- 19 ounces cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup green beans, sliced
- 1 cup zucchini, diced
- 1 cup frozen baby peas (or fresh)
- 1 cup asparagus, trimmed and diagonally sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 green onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add leeks, carrots and water. Cover and cook until the leeks are very tender, 15 minutes. Don't allow to brown.
- Add 6 cups broth and bring to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add beans, green beans, zucchini, peas, and asparagus. Simmer, uncovered, over medium heat, until vegetables are tender, 8 minutes.
- In a small bowl mix parsley, basil, green onions and garlic. Stir into simmering soup.
- Add additional broth to thin soup if neccesary.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Top with parmesan if desired.