Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
- 2 cups mangoes, GREEN peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated gingerroot
- 2 red chilies, roughly pounded and diced
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon saffron, soaked in 4 tablespoons hot water
- Combine mango and sugar. Mix well and let stand for about an hour.
- Heat small skillet over medium heat. Add mango-sugar mixture. Lower heat and cook for 15 to 20 minutes or until mangoes become very soft and the sugar begins to turn light brown. (Do not use nonstick skillet, as sugar will not caramelize.).
- Add ginger, red chiles, and salt. Mix well.
- Add saffron-infused water and mix well.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove chutney from heat. Let cool about 20 minutes. Cover and refrigerate until needed.