Prep 45 mins
Cook 6 mins
- 2 1⁄2 lbs large shrimp
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 4 -8 jalapeno peppers, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 bunch scallion, trimmed and coarsely chopped (both white and green parts)
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coarse salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup fresh lime juice
- 8 tablespoons salted butter
- lime wedge, for serving
- 12 metal skewers (10-12 inches long) or 12 bamboo skewers (10-12 inches long)
- Rinse shrimp under cold running water; drain and blot dry with paper towels.
- Peel and devein shrimp; thread shrimp onto 2 parallel skewers, using 2 skewers for each kabob.
- Arrange kebabs in a nonreactive baking dish.
- Set aside 3 tablespoons of the cilantro; place remaining cilantro, jalapenos, scallions, chopped garlic, salt, black pepper, and cumin in a food processor; finely chop.
- With the machine running, add the olive oil and lime juice through the feed tube and puree to a bright green paste.
- Pour this marinade over the shrimp; let marinate in the refrigerator, covered, for 30 minutes, turning the kebabs several times so they marinate evenly.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat; add in minced garlic and the 3 tablespoons cilantro; cook until the garlic is fragrant and sizzling, but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- Keep the garlic cilantro butter warm until ready to use.
- Set up grill for direct grilling and preheat.
- When ready to cook, brush and oil the grill grate.
- Drain the marinade from the shrimp kebabs; discard marinade.
- Place the shrimp kebabs on the hot grate and grill until just cooked through, 1-3 minutes per side, basting with the garlic cilantro butter.
- When done, the shrimp will turn pinkish white and feel firm to the touch.
- Transfer the grilled shrimp to a platter or plates; pour any of the remaining butter sauce over them; serve with lime wedges.