Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
A delicious meatless meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced leeks (light green and white parts only, thoroughly rinsed)
- 3⁄4 cup diced rutabaga (yellow turnip)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup diced new red potatoes
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 cup fresh green beans or 1⁄2 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1⁄2 cup diced zucchini
- 5 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup chopped parsley
- 1⁄2 cup green lentil, rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oil in a 4-quart pan; saute leek, mushrooms and bell pepper until soft.
- Add water and bring to a boil.
- Add lentils and basil and return to a boil.
- Reduce heat, and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add rutabaga, carrot, celery, then return to a boil and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
- Add potato and simmer, covered, for another 10 minutes.
- Add green beans, zucchini, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- Return to a boil and simmer 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.