Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A perfect soup for the slow cooker or crock pot. Green kern is unripe, dried grain from wheat, rye or barley. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking time not included in preparation time. Substitute wheat berries, brown rice or barley if you don't have access to green kern and eliminate overnight soaking.
- Soak kern overnight; drain well.
- Add water and salt; simmer until tender, about 8 hours.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot and pepper after two hours of cooking.
- Add soup stock from time to time as the water evaporates.
- Add any remaining stock at the end of cooking.