Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A perfect soup for the slow cooker or crock pot. Green kern is unripe, dried grain from wheat, rye or barley. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Overnight soaking time not included in preparation time. Substitute wheat berries, brown rice or barley if you don't have access to green kern and eliminate overnight soaking.
- 2 cups green kern
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion, peeled and minced
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- pepper, to taste
- 2 quarts stock (use vegetable broth for vegan or vegetarian) or 2 quarts broth (use vegetable broth for vegan or vegetarian)
- Soak kern overnight; drain well.
- Add water and salt; simmer until tender, about 8 hours.
- Add onion, garlic, carrot and pepper after two hours of cooking.
- Add soup stock from time to time as the water evaporates.
- Add any remaining stock at the end of cooking.