Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Aebleskiver and More - A Sampling of Danish Recipes by Lisa Steen Riggs. Number of servings is a guestimate. Also, the recipe does not indicate what to do with the meat once you have removed it from the kettle and strained the broth. Should you add it back in? I would, but I like meaty soup. I guess it's up to you.
- 4 -5 lbs pork ribs or 4 -5 lbs ham, with bone
- 1 beef bone
- 2 leeks or 2 onions
- 1 tablespoon salt
- celery leaves, whole
- fresh parsley leaves, whole
- 1⁄2 cup barley
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- 3 cups kale, hard spine removed, washed, and chopped fine
- Cover meat and beef bone with water; bring to a boil and cook on low for 60 - 90 minutes. Skim as necessary.
- Add leeks or onions, salt, and celery and parsley tied together in a swag.
- When meat is tender, remove to a platter.
- Strain broth; return to kettle and add barley, diced potatoes, and carrots.
- Cook until vegetables are almost tender.
- Add kale about 20 minutes before other vegetables are fully cooked.
- Serve hot with warm, crusty bread.