Recipe by Caroline Cooks
The best I've ever eaten; it's addictive. The Dressing is the key!...Repeat after me...Green Goddess, only! If you can't find it in the market, use Green Goddess Dressing. This can be made ahead and served cold. Potluck? Take a copy of the recipe with you; they will want it!
Top Review by Inklady
I served this with a Mexican-style vegetable soup and grapes. Then I served this salad in a BIG bowl. I told DH that this is all we're having. He looked at it and said, where's the rest of the meal? Then he started eating, and after a few bites said, this is good. You can make this again. This is one of the best salads I've ever had. These are the things I changed. I used soy crumbles and added onion poweder, garlic powder, chili powder, and a little cumin instead of the packet mix. I bet ground turkey would be good, too. I added chopped cucumber, and used chopped sweet onions and romaine lettuce. For the tortilla chips, we used Tangos blue corn & berries. The flavors melded together perfectly. The Green Goddess dressing was perfect. (Found it at Walmart) Thank you, Caroline, for an enjoyable meal.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 (1 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 7 1⁄4 ounces packages nacho cheese flavored tortilla chips
- 1 head iceberg lettuce, in bite-sized pieces
- 7 1⁄2 ounces cans kidney beans, drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 1⁄4 cup green goddess salad dressing (secret ingredient!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat skillet to Med-Hi heat with small amount of oil; saute ground beef; brown, and drain well.
- Add taco seasoning mix and follow directions of package.
- Cool (Maybe be refrigerated for later use).
- To assemble: Crush chips into bite-size pieces and add to salad bowl along with the meat,cheese, beans, tomatoes, lettuce, and green onions.
- Pour dressing over all and toss to combine.
- Serve immediately.
- Note: May substitute 2 cups cooked cubed chicken, for beef; sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken and toss to coat.