Recipe by twissis
Occasionally you stumble across the most amazing things when you're not even looking for them. I was looking for a Canadian dish for ZWT II, tripped over a bump called "The New Enchanted Broccoli Forest" cookbook by Mollie Katzen & fell face-down in a bowl of this soup. I gotta tell ya ... this looks so good to me, is 1 of the easiest recipes I've ever found, is definitely in the basement of the "evil calorie house" & has my much cherished Tex-Mex thing goin on too! I can hardly wait to try this! ... Per the recipe, "Showcase those underipe tomatoes in this delicious & gloriously colored Mexican variation on a Spanish theme. If you can't find green tomatoes, use the least ripe ones available." (Stated time does not include chilling time)
Top Review by Zee
My husband and I both loved this. (My children, though, wouldn't touch it after the vinegar and cumin went in. I think they didn't like the smell.) We will definitely make this over and over. When I can't get green tomatoes, maybe I'll try tomatillos instead. I added a dollop of sour cream to the top for garnish.
- 3 green tomatoes (3-in diameter, cored & chopped)
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium cucumber (7-in, peeled, seeded & chopped)
- parsley (A "handfull" per recipe)
- cilantro (A "handfull" per recipe)
- 1⁄4 cup lime juice (fresh, about 2 juicy limes)
- 1 medium avocado (4-in, peeled, pitted & diced)
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 -2 tablespoon olive oil (extra virgin)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey (or sugar)
- 1 cup cold water
- black pepper (to taste)
- cayenne pepper (to taste)
- tortilla chips (optional garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a lrg bowl & stir well to get a good distributional mix.
- Purée the mixture in a blender or food proc till reasonably smooth (doesn't have to be perfect).
- Transfer to a container w/a lid & chill till very cold (Keeps well for dys if tightly covered & refrigerated).
- Serve plain or topped w/a tortilla chips garnish. (NOTES: Lime slices would also be very nice visually as an opt garnish.).