Recipe by Juenessa
I found this recipe in a cookbook when I was about 12 years old. My mom got me all of the ingredients and told me to make it. We all ended up enjoying the recipe and made it many times over the years.
Top Review by cj2 Johnson
This is a very simple recipe to make. We really enjoyed it. I did however use oil to make the gravy instead of butter or margarine. I put the chicken broth and green chilis into the blender to puree because my daughter cannot stand chunks. We also used a mexican blend cheese to give it a little color. Thanks for this one. It is a do over and over again kind of recipe.
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup cooking oil
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- In skillet cook tortillas, one at a time, in hot oil - about 10 seconds each or until just limp. (Do not overcook or they will not roll).
- Drain each tortilla on a paper towel.
- Place 2 T shredded cheese and 1 T chopped onion on each tortilla; roll up.
- (Reserve remaining cheese).
- Place tortillas, seam side down, in a 13 X 9 baking dish.
- In medium saucepan melt butter or margarine; blend in flour.
- Add chicken broth; cook stirring constantly, until mixture thickens and bubbles.
- Stir in sour cream and the 4 ounce can of chopped green chilies.
- Cook the mixture until heated through but DO NOT BOIL.
- Pour sour cream sauce over rolled tortillas in baking dish.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle any remaining shredded monterey jack cheese on top of the casserole and return to the oven for about 5 more minutes or until the cheese melts.