Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
If you like green chiles, this recipe is for you. It's very easy, but tastes so-o-o good. I like to use the 505 brand of chile sauce in this recipe but any green chile enchilada sauce, commercial or homemade, may be used. The recipe comes from ""Southwestern Soups, Stews, & Skillet Suppers" by Judy Walker.
- 3 -4 cups green enchilada sauce (from 2 16-oz. jars)
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 6 -8 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
- salt and pepper
- hot mashed potatoes, 3-4 servings
- 3 -4 ounces Cotija cheese or 3 -4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
Directions See How It's Made
- Using a large skillet, heat the green chile sauce over high heat. Stir in the green chiles and chopped onion.
- Add chicken breasts and spoon sauce over. Add salt and pepper to taste. Put a lid on the skillet and reduce heat. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and, using tongs, turn the breasts in the sauce. Put the lid back on and continue cooking about 10 minutes, until the chicken in cooked through.
- Meanwhile, prepare the mashed potatoes and keep them warm.
- To serve: place mashed potatoes and chicken on plates. Stir sauce and spoon over, covering the chicken and potatoes with sauce. Sprinkle with crumbled cheese.