Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a simple and delicious Mexican version of Green eggs and Ham. Yes, the eggs are green, but if you love salsa verde like I do, this is a good thing! Enjoy! Good with a side of warmed fresh soft tortillas.
- 1⁄2 cup prepared salsa verde (see Mexican Green Sauce With Tomatillos and Avocado (Salsa Verde))
- 4 -6 eggs
- 2 -3 tablespoons diced ham or 2 -3 tablespoons chorizo sausage
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- snipped fresh cilantro, to garnish
- fresh soft tortilla, warmed (optional, to serve)
- Heat olive oil in a medium-sized skillet over medium heat. Add the diced ham or chorizo and saute briefly until lightly browned.
- Stir in the salsa verde and cook until hot.
- Crack the eggs directly into the pan with the sauce (no need to whisk first). Stir the mixture with a spatula to mix in the sauce and to lightly scramble the eggs.
- Cook gently over medium-low to medium heat, stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat when the eggs begin to set, but are still moist, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with snipped fresh cilantro, to garnish. Serve immediately.
- Good with a side of warmed fresh soft tortillas.
!Yo soy Sam! !Sam soy yo! Added to my Best of 2011 Cookbook! Perfect recipe all around! Love the raw tomatillo/avocado salsa. What I did: fresh locally made chorizo from the natural food store (no bad stuff in it). I used about half of the chorizo sausage, cutting it into 1/4" slices then cutting those in half. Served with corn on the cob, steamed green beans, locally made flour tortillas (the tortillas are a must with this dish to either scoop up the egg mixture or make tacos) and anasazi beans. Perfect but then again what else would I expect from Bec R's recipes? PS I usually don't eat sausage/ham but made an exception this time. Here is the recipe I like to make my own cheater's sausage meat (ground beef, turkey, chicken): Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties
Love the addition of the chorizo (used Mexican chorizo). Also topped with some nonfat sour cream.
What a fun way to change up eggs. The title is great, and the flavor is wonderful. I served with warmed corn tortillas and used ham. Thanks for sharing! Best of 2011 Tag.