Recipe by Kathy228
An easy curry that you can adjust the hotness level by adding hot peppers to taste. I use Vietnam Basa catfish but you can use any firm whitefish. If you cannot find galangal (Thai ginger) regular ginger can be used. Modified from a recipe I found on a Thailand Tourism website.
Top Review by Pot Scrubber
I liked this dish very much but I found the ingredients to be too vague. In my experience... you can't use fresh and dried herbs interchangeably. A general rule of thumb is use 1/2 or 1/3 dried herbs to fresh. That having been said... I used 2 Tbs of FRESH ginger and 2 Tbsp of FRESH lemon grass. It was absolutely delicious and I loved it. I give it five stars for taste (at least the way I prepared it) but I worry that if an inexperienced cook was trying to make this dish I think they might have mixed results. The fresh cilantro really sends this over the top so if you love cilantro like I do... you will love this dish.
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass, grated (or dried, ground)
- 1 tablespoon galangal (fresh, dried ground or regular ginger)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- 7 -8 garlic cloves
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 5 jalapeno peppers, seeded (more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, grated
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 lb white fish fillet, firm, cut in 1/2-inch strips
- 3⁄4 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- basil leaves (garnish)
- 1 -2 avocado (garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- To make Curry Paste.
- Place all the nine green curry paste ingredients (to the lime peel) in a blender/processor and process until smooth. If too dry, add a couple tbsp water to get a constancy that will process smoothly.
- Pour the coconut milk and green curry paste into a large saucepan and heat 'til boiling.
- Add the fish pieces, shrimp, fish sauce, and sugar. Cook at a med. simmer for 5-minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and lime juice. Stir to combine. Taste to adjust seasonings. Add more fish sauce or lime juice instead of salt.
- Peel, seed and slice the avocado(s).
- Serve with white jasmine rice and garnish with basil leaves and/or avocado slices, and lime wedges.