1/3 Photos of Green Curry With Shrimp and Fish (Kaeng Khiao)
An easy curry that you can adjust the hotness level by adding hot peppers to taste. I use Vietnam Basa catfish but you can use any firm whitefish. If you cannot find galangal (Thai ginger) regular ginger can be used. Modified from a recipe I found on a Thailand Tourism website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons lemongrass, grated (or dried, ground)
- 1 tablespoon galangal (fresh, dried ground or regular ginger)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro
- 7 -8 garlic cloves
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 5 jalapeno peppers, seeded (more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste
- 1 teaspoon lime zest, grated
- 1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- 1 lb white fish fillet, firm, cut in 1/2-inch strips
- 3/4 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- basil leaves (garnish)
- 1 -2 avocado (garnish)
- 1To make Curry Paste.
- 2Place all the nine green curry paste ingredients (to the lime peel) in a blender/processor and process until smooth. If too dry, add a couple tbsp water to get a constancy that will process smoothly.
- 3Pour the coconut milk and green curry paste into a large saucepan and heat 'til boiling.
- 4Add the fish pieces, shrimp, fish sauce, and sugar. Cook at a med. simmer for 5-minutes.
- 5Add the coconut cream and lime juice. Stir to combine. Taste to adjust seasonings. Add more fish sauce or lime juice instead of salt.
- 6Peel, seed and slice the avocado(s).
- 7Serve with white jasmine rice and garnish with basil leaves and/or avocado slices, and lime wedges.
Browse Our Top Thai Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Thai Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Curry With Shrimp and Fish (Kaeng Khiao)
Serving Size: 1 (478 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 599.1
- Calories from Fat 320
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 23.7 g
- Cholesterol 205.7 mg
- Sodium 1382.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.7 g
- Sugars 17.3 g
- Protein 44.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: