Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A quick weeknight meal with lots of flavor. Adapted from a Fine Cooking recipe.
- 1 lb cod (halibut or other firm white fish would also work)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 15 ounces can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄2 lb green beans, trimmed and cut crosswise into 1-1/2-inch lengths
- 5 kaffir lime leaves, torn into quarters (optional)
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon palm sugar (or light brown sugar)
- 1 handful fresh Thai basil (can substitute Italian basil)
- 1 fresh red chili pepper, thinly sliced on the diagonal (such as red jalapeÃ o or serrano) (optional)
- Cut the fish into bite-size chunks and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan over medium heat until a bit of curry paste just sizzles when added to the pan. Add the rest of the curry paste and cook, pressing and stirring with a wooden spoon or spatula, to soften the paste and mix it in with the oil, until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the coconut milk and broth and bring to a simmer. Add the green beans and half the lime leaves (if using) and stir well.Gently simmer, stirring occasionally, until the green beans are almost tender, about 4 minutes. Add the cod, stir, and cook until the fish is just about done, about 2 minutes. Add the fish sauce and sugar and stir to combine. Remove from the heat.
- Tear the basil leaves in half, and stir them into the curry, along with the remaining lime leaves (if using). Let rest for 5 minutes to allow the flavors to develop. Serve hot or warm with rice or noodles, garnished with the chile slices (if using).
This is absolutely fantastic! Made with Thai basil leaves (although garnished with fresh Italian basil) and kaffir lime leaves, both of which I purchased in jars at my local Asian market. For the green curry paste I used Do It Yourself Spicy Green Curry Paste which I also highly recommend. I chose halibut steak over cod due to preference. Thanks, PanNan! Made for ZWT9, team Gourmet Goddesses.