Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Green because of all the green vegetables in it, not because it uses green curry paste. An Indian-style curry from Anna Thomas' "The Vegetarian Epicure Book Two". Very hot, delicious, and filling. Don't be put off by the long ingredient list--it's mostly spices. The recipe says it serves 6-8 but those are really big servings! I'd say more like 8-10, or even more if small portions. Good with basmati rice and a nice cool raita.
- 1 lb potato
- 1 lb green beans
- 3⁄4 lb zucchini
- 1 lb spinach
- 5 tablespoons ghee (or oil)
- 1 1⁄2 lbs onions
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1⁄2 teaspoon hot paprika (or use additional cayenne)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons freshly grated gingerroot
- 4 tablespoons chopped green chilies (such as serrano)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup water
- hot cooked basmati rice
- Scrub the potatoes, quarter lengthwise, and thickly slice each quarter. Boil in salted water for 5 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- Trim the green beans, cut into 1-inch lengths, boil in salted water for 5 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- Thickly slice zucchini, boil in salted water for 3-4 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- Wash and coarsely chop spinach and set aside.
- Heat ghee or oil in a large pot. Peel, halve, and thickly slice the onions. Mince the garlic or squeeze through a garlic press. Saute onions and garlic in ghee until just turning light golden color.
- Add all the dry spices (from the turmeric through the salt) to the onions.
- Saute over medium heat for 3-4 minutes to release the flavors of the spices, then add the vegetables, ginger, chilis, lemon juice, and water.
- Stir together until thoroughly mixed, and simmer, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated and the vegetables are tender.
- Serve hot over basmati rice.
I made this a couple of days ago along with a red curry and a quinoa recipe. This was very good. We really enjoyed it. I didn't use the potatoes but used the other green veggies. It had a really nice flavor and was very hot - the way I like it.