Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
You can substitute ginger for the galangal and Kra Chai if you cannot find these ingredients, and likewise coriander stems for the root. This keeps for about 3 months in a sterilised jar in the fridge.
- 15 Thai green chili, fresh
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 40 g galangal, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, chopped
- 1 teaspoon coriander root, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime peel, chopped
- 3 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger, lesser (Kra Chai)
- 1 teaspoon shrimp paste or 1 teaspoon salt
- Put chillies, turmeric and garlic in a mortar & pestle (or electric grinder) and pound/grind well.
- Add lemongrass, galangal, coriander, and lime; pound/grind well.
- Add shallot, lesser ginger & shrimp paste - grind/pound until smooth and there are no major lumps.
Sounds like the real thing!