lynnski / LA's Note:
This is called green curry because of its color; however, some of its seasonings such as cayenne pepper, hot paprika, black pepper and green chilis can make it red-hot. It's a delicious curry, but one needs to consider how much heat you want and adjust the hot ingredient amounts accordingly. this recipe was adapted from the "vegetarian epicure, book two" by Anna Thomas.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb potato
- 1 lb green beans
- 3/4 lb zucchini
- 1 lb spinach
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 lbs onions
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons turmeric, ground
- 1 tablespoon coriander, ground
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon hot paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 4 tablespoons green chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1Scrub or peel the potatoes, quarter them lengthwise, and slice thickly. Boil in salted water for 5 minutes only, drain and set aside.
- 2Trim the green beans and cut them into 1-inch pieces.
- 3Boil them in salted water for 5 minutes, drain, and set aside.
- 4Slice the zucchini rather thickly, boil them in salted water for 3 to 4 minutes only, drain, and set aside.
- 5Wash and coarsely chop the spinch and set it aside.
- 6Melt the butter in a large pot.
- 7Halve and thickly slice the onions and crush or mince the garlic, and saute them in the butter until the onions begin to color.
- 8Then add the turmeric, coriander, cumin, hot paprika, cayenne pepper, black pepper, cinnamon, and salt.
- 9Stir this mixture over a medium flame for a few minutes, then add the prepared vegetables, the ginger, green chilis, lemon juice, and water.
- 10Stir all the vegetables and spices together throughly and simmer, stirring again frequently, until most of the water is gone and the vegetables are just tender.
- 11Serve with plain rice pilau, or chapati; along with yogurt and raita.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Curry
Serving Size: 1 (440 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 261.3
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 6.2 g
- Cholesterol 25.4 mg
- Sodium 731.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 8.4 g
- Protein 7.7 g