Prep 30 mins
Cook 12 mins
This recipe is from my soon to be daughter-in-law. I'm not sure if it is authentic Mexican but it sure is good. It makes a wonderful mint green cream sauce and the presentation is beautiful.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt, to taste
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, diced
- 12 corn tortillas, softened
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese or 1⁄2 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
Green Cream Sauce
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons butter
- salt, to taste
- Note: To soften tortillas - Spray each tortilla on both sides with non-stick cooking spray. Wrap the tortillas in a paper towel and place in the microwave and cook on high for 60 seconds.
- Cook chicken in a small saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, lower heat and simmer about 20 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Remove from heat and cool. Shred chicken, add chopped green chilies and salt to taste. Set aside.
- To make Green Cream Sauce: Cook spinach according to package directions. Cool and wrap spinach in paper towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Measure about 1/2 cup spinach and set aside. Save remainder for another use.
- Place 1/2 cup spinach, green chiles and 1 cup of the cream in blender or food processor and blend about 15 seconds until vegetables are pureed.
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat and stir in the pureed mixture and the remaining cream. Simmer for about five minutes (until slightly thickened) and add salt to taste and remove from heat.
- To Assemble Enchiladas: Place about 1 tablespoon of shredded chicken mixture just off center in each tortilla and roll up. Place enchiladas in a shallow baking dish, seam side down. Spoon the green cream sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle with the grated cheese and bake in 425 degree oven about 10 minutes until heated through. Place enchiladas under the broiler to lightly brown the cheese.