Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Stashing this for when the garden is pumping out the coriander & peppers & I want something other than salsa. Came in an email - I guessed the yield.
- 8 ounces coriander leaves, fresh (and tender stems)
- 3 green chilies, deseeded and washed
- 1⁄2 fresh coconut, grated (or 2 ozs. desiccated coconut)
- 2 inches ginger, fresh
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pinch asafetida powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds (or brown )
- 4 curry leaves, chopped coarse
- Wash coriander, drain well to remove any excess moisture.
- Place the first 7 ingredients on a food processor and blend till smooth. If necessary you can add a little more lemon juice to help in the blending.
- Remove to a serving dish.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the asafoetida, mustard seeds and curry leaves till the mustard seeds POP and Crackle!
- Pour the oil and spices over the chutney, cover the dish and leave for 5 minutes.
- Mix well, adjust the seasoning and add some more lemon juice if necessary and serve chilled.
I was lazy, and skipped the asafetida powder, mustard seeds, and curry leaves - so I only completed steps 1 - 3. And, I did not have lemon on hand so i used lime. No matter, this was great! Keeper!