Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lighter version of the deep fried fatty version of Chilies Rellenos. If you roast your own chilies leave the stem on. Life will be much easier. From the Vegetarian Journal.
- 12 whole poblano peppers
- 23 ounces vegetarian refried beans or 23 ounces low fat refried beans
- 4 scallions, diced
- 1 cup shredded mexican cheese (optional) or 1 cup soy cheese (optional)
- First roast and peel the poblano peppers.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Wear rubber gloves. Take a pepper and slice down the one side. Do this to each pepper [see why you need the stem?] Now carefully remove the stem and the seeds. Keep the pepper intact.
- Now mix the beans with the scallions and stuff the pepper with 2 tbsp heaping of the bean mix.
- Place in a greased 2 quart dish. Top with the shredded cheese if you desire.
- Bake for 15 minutes or untl heated thru. Top with some Red Chili sauce or other favorite Mexican sauce.
- For the Vegan option, use a Vegan shredded cheese.