Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe was the 3rd place winner in the 2005 National Cornbread Cookoff. I haven't yet made it but it sounds totally delicious. I plan to try it soon!
- 1 lb fajita beef, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 lime
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil or 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 medium bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 (7 ounce) packagesyellow cornbread mix
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies
- 3 tablespoons canola oil or 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- sour cream
Avocaco Pico de Gallo
- 2 avocados, peeled seeded and cut into small cubes
- 1⁄2 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 4 -5 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place beef in bowl. Squeeze lime juice over meat. Add cumin and salt and toss to evenly coat. Pour 2 tablespoons oil into 11-inch iron skillet. Cook meat until brown. Add onion and bell pepper. Cook for about 15 to 20 minutes on medium-high heat until meat is done and onions start to brown. Remove from heat. Transfer to a plate or platter and set aside.
- Mix cornbread mixes with eggs and milk until blended. Stir in-green chilies. Pour 3 tablespoons oil into the cast iron skillet. Heat until oil is hot and pour 1 1/2 cups of cornbread batter into pan, making sure bottom is evenly covered with batter. Bake for 10 minutes. Cornbread will be set but not brown on top. Remove from oven.
- Spread beef mixture on top of cornbread leaving about a 1/2 inch space all the way around the edge. Top beef mixture with Monterrey Jack cheese. Top with remaining cornbread batter. Bake for 25 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Let stand about 5 minutes before cutting. Cut into 4-6 wedges. To serve, top each slice with Avocado Pico de gallo and spoonful of sour cream.
- For Avocado Pico de Gallo: Combine all ingredients except lime. Squeeze lime juice over all and toss to evenly coat. Add salt to taste. Refrigerate until needed.