Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This simple but tasty chicken dish is in our regular weekly rotation. It can be prepared ahead of time - just wait until you are ready to cook it before you pour the sauce over the tortillas.
- 12 -18 corn tortillas
- 1⁄2 cup oil
- 8 ounces shredded monterey jack cheese
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces diced green chilies
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 chicken or 3 chicken breast halves, boiled and shredded (or chopped)
- chopped green onion
- Cook tortillas in hot oil until softened (5 seconds).
- Place some chicken, cheese, and onion on each tortilla and roll up.
- Place seam side down in greased baking pan.
- In a saucepan, melt butter, add flour, and stir well.
- Add broth; cook til thickened.
- Stir in sour cream and chilies and continue stirring until heated.
- Pour over enchiladas.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes or until heated through.
- Put remaining cheese on top and return to oven for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped green onions and serve with white rice made with chicken broth and a can of Ro-tel tomatoes.
This was great!! Thank you Miss Gracie
A little clarification on cooking the tortillas prior to filling them. I use a small non-stick frying pan and heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in the pan. One at a time, I place the tortillas in the pan, heat one side first, flip over and heat the second side. I then remove the tortilla from the pan and place it on paper towels to remove the excess oil. Continue with the other tortillas, adding more oil as needed.