Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I got this recipe from a co-worker named Linda. She brought this in to celebrate Cinco de Mayo. I've used this for Christmas brunch and everyday dinners. I use Colby in place of monterey jack cheese if it's all I have. I've also used Evaporated Milk for the milk and haven't noticed any difference.
- 1 1⁄2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
- 1 cup extra-sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (9 inch) pie crusts (I use store bought)
- 1 ounce diced green chilis, canned (I use a 4 oz. can)
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (I use evaporated skim) or 1 cup evaporated milk (I use evaporated skim)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin powder
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- fresh ground pepper
- Linda said to pre bake pie crust a few minutes. I bake it according to the directions on the box. She also recommends to brush with an egg white if you aren't going to eat it right away to prevent sogginess. You will put the filling into the hot crust.
- In a medium bowl beat eggs. Mix in milk and seasonings.
- Drain chilis. (I don't drain because the brand I use doesn't have anything to drain.) Place half on bottom of crust.
- Add cheese and then egg mixture. Top with remaining chilis.
- Dust top with pepper.
- Bake at 375 for 40 minutes or until knife comes out clean from center. (Like a custard.).
- Let stand for 10 minutes or so to set.