Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is an easy recipe and made with anaheim peppers rather than tomatillas.
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 lbs pork shoulder, cubed
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 anaheim chilies, diced
- 1 teaspoon mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt, as needed
- 2 cups water
- In a large nonstick frying pan or a dutch oven put the oil and heat over medium-high heat. Add the pork pieces in batches to lightly brown.
- Return the browned meat to the pan and add everything else.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmmer 60 minutes or until the meat is very tender and the water has evaporated.
- Serve with flour tortillas and Spanish rice. If tomatoes are in season, you may replace the canned tomatoes with 4 fresh ones.
- Use leftovers to make burritoes and serve with lettuce, olives, salsa. grated cheese and sour cream.