1 hr 30 mins
A change of pace chili, adapted from Chili Nation, by Jan and Michael Stern.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 fresh new mexico peppers (Anaheim or Poblano acceptable)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatillos (or similar quantity of fresh tomatillos)
- 2 lbs lean round steak
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 scallions
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon masa harina (fine corn meal)
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1Tomatillos are small green tomato-like vegetables, which come in papery husks when purchased fresh--if using fresh tomatillos, remove the husks and rinse thoroughly.
- 2Roast the chile peppers, preferably over an open flame, until just charred all over.
- 3Scrape off the charred skin, trim off the stems, and remove the seeds.
- 4In a blender or food processor, puree the chiles with 1 cup of the water, until smooth.
- 5Separately puree the tomatillos.
- 6Dice the steak into small cubes.
- 7Put the flour in a small bag, add the steak, and shake until coated (or dredge the steak on a plate).
- 8Melt the butter in a large skillet (lard is also acceptable, and perhaps more authentic).
- 9Fry the beef in the butter, in batches if necessary, until browned.
- 10Remove from skillet and drain on paper towels.
- 11Mince the garlic, and cut the scallions into small lengths.
- 12In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the oil.
- 13Cook the scallions and garlic until soft.
- 14Add beef, oregano, cumin, sugar, salt, broth, pureed chiles and tomatillos.
- 15Stir in cilantro and parsley.
- 16Bring to boil and simmer partially covered for 1 hour and a quarter.
- 17Dissolve masa harina in 1/4 cup of water.
- 18Add to pot and cook another 10 minutes.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chili New Mexico
Serving Size: 1 (503 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 812.4
- Calories from Fat 401
- Total Fat 44.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 218.4 mg
- Sodium 3709.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 12.1 g
- Protein 73.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lean round steak