Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
These are good beef enchiladas from The Once A Month Cookbook. I also substitute the beef with leftover chicken or turkey too. Nice to have some in the freezer for quick dinners.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef (3 3/4 cups browned meat)
- 1 1⁄4 cups onions, finely chopped (3/4 cup sauteed)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, grated (1 cup)
- 8 flour tortillas
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream or 1 1⁄2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- Cook the ground beef, and saute onions until the meat is brown, about 15 minutes. Drain the fat. Combine with chili powder, salt and pepper. Reserve 1 cup cheese in a 1-quart freezer bag to use when serving. Spoon enough meat mixture and cheese on each tortilla to cover a third of it. Roll tortilla beginning at the filled edge. Place seam side down in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish treated with nonstick spray. When tortillas are completed, combine soup, sour cream, and green chilies to make a sauce; pour over tortillas. Cover dish with foil and freeze with bag of cheese taped to it.
- To prepare for serving, thaw enchiladas and cheese. Bake uncovered in a preheated 375ºF oven for 20 to 25 minutes. The last 10 minutes sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.
I was looking for a white sauce recipe because it's hubbys fav. I'm not can soup fan so I did use some cream cheese in place of it. Very delicious. Thank You. Made for ZWT 5 Family Picks.
Anything my teenage daughter asks me to keep making gets 5 stars! Very creamy with a bit of a bite from the chilies and the chili powder. Thanks for a keeper!
Very creamy and yummy. I used cream of mushroom and sour cream. I doubled the green chilies because we love them so much! Thanks for the great recipe!