Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is something I just threw together. So far I haven't seen any recipes that have "cream cheese" in their filler and it adds such a creamy texture. You can make it as mild or spicy as you like by ajusting the spice or add some jalapeno. My kids won't eat anything spicy.
- 6 -8 flour tortillas
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, diced
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper (jar)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 -5 ounces grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 7 -8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1 lb left over shredded cooked chicken (or more)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans enchilada sauce
- Turn on oven to lowest setting.
- Wrap tortilla shells in foil, place in oven to soften (not too long or they will be very brittle).
- Mix together green chili, red bell pepper, cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper and cayanee pepper until smooth.
- Add shredded chicken and coat.
- In a baking dish, coat the bottom with some of the enchilada sauce (just enough to coat).
- Take out the flour shells spoon a tablespoon of enchilada sauce inside then fill with the chicken mixture (about 2 Tbs or whatever fulliness you like) and roll.
- Place in the pan and continue until the mixture is gone.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce then pepper jack cheese and cheddar.
- Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 for 60 min (or until cheese& sauce is bubbling).
- This dish can be easily made ahead of time; I usually make this in the morning, so I'll I have to do is bake an hour before my hubby gets home from work.
- It's also a great dish to make when you've had roasted chicken the night before and want to use the leftovers.
I love mexican food being from California..but here in Tasmania.. Mexican food is few and far between.. they dont even have a Taco Bell...omg.. but I loved this dish. it was easy and quick and everyone in Town wants to taste it now cause my guy ranted about how good it is. I did make it the way the directions said to the first time.. but in later dishes i cut the cheese as my Guy renamed this death by cheese.lol.. but even with the reduction in cheese It was amazing. Will make this over and over,
This is exactly what I'm looking for, Thank you, it sounds so creamy and delicious!
This sounds really good. But for me, I cook boil the chicken, reserve the stock and then blend in the sour cream and cream cheese. Then i use this for the sauce instead of the red sauce. I dip the torts in the sauce and then when my pan is full, if i have any extra sauce, i pour it over the entire dish. It is a more creamy version.