This recipe is something I just threw together. So far I haven't seen any recipes that have "cream cheese" in their filler and it adds such a creamy texture. You can make it as mild or spicy as you like by ajusting the spice or add some jalapeno. My kids won't eat anything spicy.
- 6 -8 flour tortillas
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chili peppers, diced
- 1⁄2 cup roasted red pepper (jar)
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 -5 ounces grated monterey jack pepper cheese
- 7 -8 ounces grated cheddar cheese
- 1 lb left over shredded cooked chicken (or more)
- 2 (10 ounce) cans enchilada sauce
- Turn on oven to lowest setting.
- Wrap tortilla shells in foil, place in oven to soften (not too long or they will be very brittle).
- Mix together green chili, red bell pepper, cream cheese, sour cream, salt, pepper and cayanee pepper until smooth.
- Add shredded chicken and coat.
- In a baking dish, coat the bottom with some of the enchilada sauce (just enough to coat).
- Take out the flour shells spoon a tablespoon of enchilada sauce inside then fill with the chicken mixture (about 2 Tbs or whatever fulliness you like) and roll.
- Place in the pan and continue until the mixture is gone.
- Top with remaining enchilada sauce then pepper jack cheese and cheddar.
- Cover dish with foil and bake at 350 for 60 min (or until cheese& sauce is bubbling).
- This dish can be easily made ahead of time; I usually make this in the morning, so I'll I have to do is bake an hour before my hubby gets home from work.
- It's also a great dish to make when you've had roasted chicken the night before and want to use the leftovers.