Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
A wonderful side dish to go along with Mexican or American dishes.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups cooked rice, hot
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1 cup small curd cottage cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 (4 ounce) canschopped green chilies, drained
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large skillet, cook onion in butter until translucent.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in rice, sour cream, cottage cheese, salt and pepper.
- Spoon 1/2 the mixture into a 7x11" baking dish.
- Top with 1/2 the chilies and cheese; repeat.
- Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
This is an absolutely fantastic rice dish!!! We loved it! I halved the recipe with no trouble and I used plain yogurt instead of sour cream. Be warned - the chilies give a REAL kick to this rice - so be sure to be ready for that!. Quick to make and great to use with left over rice. I will for sure be making this again. Thanks for sharing!
*Made for Australia/NZ Swap #54* A VERY tasty side ! This is likely more effort than I put into most rice dishes, but well worth the time and ingredients. Only change I made was to use 1 can of chilies and subbed Bistro taco cheese mix for cheddar. DH and I ate the WHOLE thing in 2 nights, heated up nicely in the microwave. Thanks for posting, Chef Buggsy.