2 hrs 15 mins
A hearty beef soup with Mexican flavors. This is not too spicy because my family wouldn't eat anything too hot - so spice it up to suit you and yours ;) or leave it family friendly :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 lb beef stew meat, cut in 3/4-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, medium, peeled and chopped
- 4 ounces diced green chilies, canned, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 15 ounces diced tomatoes, canned, diced
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1Dust the meat in the flour and brown it in 1 1/2 Tablespoons of the oil in a soup kettle.
- 2Add the chicken broth, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally to loosen the browned flour/meat and to prevent the meat from sticking to bottom.
- 3Add the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoon of oil to a skillet and brown the carrot, celery, onion, green chilies, garlic and oregano.
- 4When the meat mixture is tender, add the browned vegetables, potatoes and tomatoes to the soup kettle.
- 5Add the beef broth to the skillet and bring to a boil, stirring to pick up any browned vegetable bits; add to the soup kettle.
- 6Bring soup kettle to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 to 30 minutes, until potatoes are tender.
- 7Add salt and pepper to taste.
- 8My family enjoys this with corn muffins or tortilla chips.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chili Beef Soup
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 286.7
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 39.6 mg
- Sodium 846.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 14.8 g