Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very good Southwestern Soup recipe given to me by my daughter. I do not know where she got it.
- 1⁄2 lb maple bacon, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14 3/4 ounce) can creamed corn
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen corn
- 1 (7 ounce) can green chilies
- 2 cups milk
- 4 -6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend
- Fry the bacon until crispy; drain all but 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Add onions and celery; cook until tender.
- Stir in broth, corn, and green chilies; bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk the milk and flour; add to the corn mixture.
- Cook and stir until thickened.
- Add the cheese until melted. ENJOY!
We had this with company last night and it was a great hit. I added bacon bits instead of cooking the bacon and fat free half and half instead of the milk. Also made Beer Bread Beer Bread to go with the meal. Thank you very much for a great recipe!