Recipe by CaribbeanQueen
Nice and zippy! The hubby and I are "chili heads" so we always add a couple of chopped fresh jalapenos. Do so to suit your own tastes.
- 16 ounces chorizo sausages or 16 ounces pork sausage or 16 ounces beef sausages, casings removed
- 2 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 5 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 slices sourdough bread, crusts removed
- 1 1⁄3 cups monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 (4 ounce) can mild green chilies, chopped, drained
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Butter an 8-cup baking dish.
- Saute' chorizo in heavy skillet over medium-low heat until cooked through, about 15 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to paper toweling to drain.
- Whisk next 5 ingredients in large bowl. Place 2 bread slices in bottom of prepared dish. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup cheese and half each of chilies, cilantro and chorizo.
- Pour 1/3 of egg mixture over.
- Repeat layering with 2 bread slices, 3/4 cup cheese and remaining chilies, cilantro, and chorizo.
- Top with 2 bread slices.
- Pour remaining egg mixture over and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Cover; chill overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake Strata uncovered until puffed and golden, about 55 minutes.
- Let stand 5 minutes or so befoe serving.