Recipe by Engrossed
I had some mushrooms to use up and couldn't find any recipes that I wanted to make or that I had all of the ingredients for. So I decided to play with some of my favorite flavors together to make a vegetarian no bread-crumb stuffed mushroom. I had to write down a few more ideas for the next time I have mushrooms on hand. Playing with food is fun! The filling in these did turn out soft with neufchatel so I'm giving the choice of cottage cheese. If you would like it spicier consider adding tabasco, red pepper flakes, jalapeno, or cumin.
Top Review by breezermom
Ole! Loved the green chiles and green onions in this! I used cream cheese, and also added a bit of cayenne pepper to the stuffing mix. The cooking time was perfect for both the mushrooms and filling. I ended up with more filling than could fit into the mushrooms....but no worries, its so good you can eat it with a spoon! (Or spread over crackers). Thanks for sharing!
- 12 large mushrooms, cleaned, hollowed out, stems reserved
- 1⁄4 cup mushroom stems, minced
- 2 ounces neufchatel cheese or 2 ounces cream cheese or 2 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup monterey jack and cheddar cheese blend, shredded
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, shredded (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup diced mild green chili, drained
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- chili powder, to serve (optional)
- chopped cilantro, to serve (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet or 13x9 baking dish.
- Stir together filling ingredients: Minced mushroom stems through salt.
- Spoon filling into cleaned mushroom caps and place them in prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Place on a serving platter and sprinkle chile powder and fresh minced cilantro over the top of them.