Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
A great authentic version.
Make and share this Green Chile Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 2 medium white onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 1⁄2 lbs boneless pork shoulder, trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 5 lbs frozen roasted New Mexico green chilies, peeled seeded and chopped
- 7 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes (Yukon Gold work well) or 1 1⁄2 lbs other boiling potatoes
- In a large heavy pot cook the onions and 6 of the garlic cloves in the oil over moderate heat, stirring, until the onions are softened, add the pork, the chiles, the stock, and the salt, and simmer the mixture, uncovered, adding water if necessary to keep the pork barely covered, for 1 1/2 hours.
- Stir in the potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces, making sure they are covered by the cooking liquid, and simmer the mixture, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes, or until the pork and the potatoes are tender.
- Stir in the remaining 2 garlic cloves, salt and pepper to taste and simmer the stew for 5 minutes.
- The stew may be frozen or made 3 days in advance, cooled, uncovered, and kept covered and chilled.