Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
A vegetarian version of the New Mexico favorite green chile stew. Recipe source: local newspaper which is printed from Vegetable Soups from Deborah Madison's Kitchen
- 6 new mexico anaheim chilies (or 6 poblano chiles)
- 2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- sea salt
- 6 cups water or 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- Roast the chiles over a flame until the skins bubble and are partially charred, then put them in a bowl , cover with a plate and set aside to steam (or buy chiles that are already roasted).
- Toast the coriander in a dry skillet until fragrant and the color changes, then cool and then grind to a powder using a mortar and pestle or spice mill.
- In a large soup pot over medium heat heat the oil and then add the onion, potatoes and coriander, turning to coat for 5-10 minutes or until potatoes are golden.
- While potatoes are cooking slip skins off the chiles, discarding the seeds and chopping the chiles into large pieces.
- Add chiles, 1 teaspoon salt and the water or vegetable broth into the soup pot. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer and cook covered for 25-30 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan bring a small amount of water to a boil, submerge the cilantro for a few seconds, drain and rinse under cold water. Chop the cilantro and stir it into the sour cream.
- Serve soup with a dollop of sour cream.
This was pretty good.. I added sour cream, cilantro, and toasted tortilla strips to the top. I would like to put something else instead of potatoes next time like sweet potato or squash. Husband loved it.. thanks!
This is a very good vegetarian soup. I would recommend cutting the potatoes a little smaller and adding cilantro to the soup as well as to the sour cream. I used homemade vegetable broth. I think it was even better after sitting overnight in the refrigerator. This is a nice "spiced up" potato soup. Thanks for posting! Made for Newest Zaar tag.