Recipe by Meredith .F
From Rachael Ray Mag 11/08. Haven't made these yet, but can't wait to try them out at the weekend tailgate! I love smaller, bite size foods-especially at parties, potlucks & tailgates. Rachael suggests serving these with margaritas and tortilla chips-yumm.
Top Review by PaulaG
Fantastic! I used Hatch green chili instead of poblano and ground turkey for the sirloin. The burgers were cooked on the George Forman. Served these with an assortment of pickles and olives with tortilla chips. Definitely a repeat. Made for *My 3 Chefs*
- 2 large poblano chiles
- 4 tomatillos, husks removed and coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapenos or 1 serrano chili, chopped
- 1⁄2 white onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 lime, juice and zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground sirloin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 8 small rolls, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler. PLace the poblanos on a baking sheet and broil, turning once, until blackened. Transfer to a bowl & cover. Let stand until cool enough to handle. Peel off the skins & remove the seeds, discard. Chop into 1/2" pieces.
- Using a food processor, mix the tomatillos, jalapeno, onion, cilantro, lime peel, lime juice and honey until smooth-season with sdalt.
- In a large bowl, season the sirloin with the cumin, salt & pepper, combine. Mix in the poblanos. Halve the meat mixture & form into 3 inch patties.
- In a cast iron skillet or grill pan, heat the oil over high heat. Cook the patties, turning nce, about 5 minute for med-rare. During the last minute of cooking top with cheese and tent with foil. Dot the roll tops with tomatillo sauce and assemble the sliders. Serve with the extra sauce.