1 hr 10 mins
I fell in love with green chile sauce while visiting New Mexico in the early 90's. Since I live in Dallas, Texas it is very hard to find anything other than tomato based salsa. So I created my own version to enjoy anytime.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs green chilies, roasted, peeled and chopped (hot or mild, fresh, frozen or canned)
- 1 lb cooked pork (optional, but you'll wish you had) or 1 lb cooked chicken (optional, but you'll wish you had)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 3 tomatillos, chopped
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans low-sodium low-fat chicken broth (or your favorite)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried cilantro
- 1In a large and deep pan or skillet add oil, onion, garlic and tomatillos. Lightly brown or cook until onions start to soften.
- 2Add flour while stirring constantly till blended or you could make a roux and stir into the pan.
- 3Add all remaining ingredients and stir well.
- 4Cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- 5Season to taste.
- 6If you want it hotter simply add some cayenne pepper or habanero pepper.
- 7For additional flavor try grilling your meat with some wood chips first.
- 8This sauce can be substituted wherever you would use tomato based salsa. I plan to add some recipes that make good use of this salsa. Try it on eggs, top your nachos, smother burritos, smother a grilled rib-eye steak etc --.
- 9Freezes well. Separate into serving, thaw, heat and eat. This size batch last my wife and I 4 months.
- 10Tip: The easiest way to prepare this is to buy canned green chilies. I use 6 - 7 ounce cans undrained.
Browse Our Top Salsas Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Salsas Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chile Sauce (New Mexican Style)
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 118.8
- Calories from Fat 48
- Total Fat 5.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 20.6 mg
- Sodium 149.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
low-sodium low-fat chicken broth