Recipe by ellie_
Sumitted per a request for New Mexican Green Chile Sauce which is delicious on scrambled eggs, in burritos, as a topping for hamburgers or with just about anything to add a bit of zip to meat, poultry or fish. Recipe source: Coyote Cafe cookbook.
Top Review by Judi H
I'm a New Mexico native and this is really an authentic and delicious recipe! It freezes up well and we love it so much we put it on EVERYTHING!! (ice cream anyone??!!) Way to go, Ellie2!!
- 4 lbs New Mexico green chilies (or subsitute Anaheim chilies w/ 3-4 jalapenos)
- 8 cloves garlic, roasted,peeled and chopped
- 4 cups water
- 4 teaspoons roasted oregano (or subsitute 2 teaspoons dried)
- 1 teaspoon roasted ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Roast the green chilies under the broiler for 5 minutes or until slightly blackened.
- Place chilies in a paper bag to allow them to steam until cool enough to touch.
- Remove the blackened parts and discard.
- Place peeled chilies and the rest of the ingredients in a food processor and chop until finely chopped.
- Do not puree.