1/2 Photos of Green Chile Pork Stew
10 hrs 15 mins
Muffin Goddess's Note:
This is one of those "stick-to-your-ribs" chilly-weather meals. I got this from a friend who is famous for her crockpot concoctions. Because of the nature of a crockpot, cooking time actually may range from 4 to 10 hours (depending on the cook's schedule).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 lbs pork cutlets, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon seasoned pepper (I use Jane's Crazy Mixed-Up Pepper)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons vinegar (white or cider)
- 2 large onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 cans whole baby potatoes (not sure of exact weight, I usually end up using one large can of them)
- 2 cups tomatillo salsa (I either make my own, or I use La Victoria Green Chile enchilada sauce)
- 2 (3 1/2 ounce) cans diced green chilies
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar or 1 teaspoon honey
- 1Mix flour, cumin, pepper, salt, and sage in a gallon-size zipper bag.
- 2Add meat cubes and shake to coat thoroughly.
- 3Heat oil in a large skillet.
- 4Brown pork in batches (meat will be crispier that way); remove from skillet when browned and place in the crock of a 4-6 quart slow cooker.
- 5With the heat still on, add the vinegar to the skillet and quickly scrape up the browned bits left in the pan (the vinegar will reduce quite rapidly).
- 6Add the vinegar reduction to the meat in the crock.
- 7Add onions, potatoes, salsa, broth, and brown sugar to the crock and stir well.
- 8Cook on low for 8-10 hours (or high for 4-5 hours, if you can't wait that long).
- 9If you would like the stew to be a bit thicker, mash a few of the potatoes.
- 10Serve with slabs of warm cornbread (such as my recipe for Mexican Cornbread).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chile Pork Stew
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 363.8
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 124.8 mg
- Sodium 895.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 4.0 g
- Protein 45.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: