Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
Love your macaroni and cheese with a little bite? This is a delicious and inexpensive meal. Recipe courtesy of All You August 2011.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups low-fat milk, warmed
- 8 ounces green chilies, chopped and drained
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 8 ounces monterey jack pepper cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn chips, crushed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a large baking sheet with foil.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Cook macaroni until al dente, about 8 minutes, or as label directs.
- Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion and jalapenos and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour on onion mixture and cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in warm milk.
- Raise heat to medium and slowly bring to a simmer, stirring constantly.
- Cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in chilies.
- Set aside 1/2 cup of cheddar.
- Add remaining cheddar and all pepper jack cheese to skillet and cook, stirring, until all cheese is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to skillet and stir.
- Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Pour in pasta mixture.
- In a bowl, combine crushed corn chips with reserved 1/2 cup cheddar and sprinkle over pasta.
- Place dish on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake until pasta mixture is bubbling and top is golden, about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.