Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This is a very nice potato casserole, given a little "kick" by adding canned green chilies and sharp Cheddar cheese. This is not, however, a really "hot" (picante) dish so you needn't be afraid to serve it to just about everybody. And it is easy; just five ingredients, Recipe comes from a Bon Appetit magazine dating back to 1996,
- 1 (32 ounce) bag frozen hash browns
- 3 (4 ounce) cans diced green chilies, drained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (about 8 ounces)
- 1 cup sour cream
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9 x 13-inch glass baking dish.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until top is golden brown, about 45 minutes longer. Serve hot.
FAB-U-LOUS! 5 stars are not enough. Made some minor changes--used fresh roasted green chiles from Pueblo, and used light cream soup, cheese and sour cream. Everybody ate seconds, and my two daughters scarfed up the leftovers for breakfast the next morning.
I made this for a brunch today. I only used one (7 oz) can of green chilies and I added some garlic powder and onion powder and I used cream of celery soup, but other than that, I made it as directed. It was SO GOOD! I was a little concerned because when I was mixing all the ingredients to gether, it looked quite dry like it didn't have enough moisture. But, I did it like the recipe said anyway and after it was cooked, it was moist and just right. I LOVE this recipe and I think everyone else will too. I don't like things too hot but my husband would have been happy with more green chilies. The 7 oz. can I used was plenty for me and still had the heat factor. Everybody try this and I gurantee you will love it as much as we did!!! Thanks for posting this one!!!