This is a very versatile recipe that can be prepared partially in advance. I’ve always disliked red enchilada sauce thus I created this enchilada recipe using Stokes Green Chile Sauce with Pork. Yes, I created this recipe and submitted it to the Stokes Green Chile recipe site.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb pork shoulder chop, cooked and diced (or 1lb cooked shredded pork, 1 lb leftover cooked chicken, 1lb leftover cooked roast beef or cooked )
- 1 cup onion, coarsely chopped (adjust to personal tastes)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic (about 3 garlic cloves)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups of stokes green chile sauce with pork, divided
- 1 1/2-2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese or 1 1/2-2 cups colby cheese, blend
- 8 corn or 8 flour tortillas
- 1Prepare all of the veggies being used, set aside and preheat the oven to 375°F.
- 2If using fresh pork shoulder steaks: Remove excess fat from 1½ pounds of pork shoulder steaks. Season with salt, garlic powder, cumin powder and onion powder then slowly simmer in oil in a skillet till tender. When the pork has completed cooking set it aside.
- 3If using shredded pork, leftover chicken, leftover cooked roast beef, leftover cooked steak: shred the meat and set aside. Meanwhile, gently sauté the chopped onions and garlic with oil in a skillet for about 5 minutes and mix into the reserved meat mixture and set aside.
- 4If using fresh ground beef or turkey, sauté it with the onions, garlic and ground cumin in a frying pan till the beef is brown and no longer pink. Drain off the fat and set aside.
- 5Moisten six sheets of paper towels, wrap them around the tortillas and microwave them for 45 seconds on high power so to soften them.
- 6Spoon 1 Tbsp of the reserved enchilada sauce mix over each tortilla, spoon ~ ¼ cup of meat mixture and a little cheese on top and roll up the tortillas. Smear ½ cup of the sauce on the bottom of an 8x11 baking dish and place the rolled tortillas in the dish.
- 7Add any remaining meat to the bowl of the enchilada sauce and stir well. Pour this mix over the enchiladas. Sprinkle the remainder of the cheese over the enchiladas and bake for 15 - 20 minutes in the preheated oven at 375°F or till the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbly.
- 8Remove from the oven and serve with the toppings as described above. I like to serve this with a mixed green salad on the side.
- 9I like the KISS principle of “keep it simple stupid”. For desert, I serve a simplified version of fried ice cream. I roll scoops of vanilla ice cream in crushed frosted corn flakes, add some sliced bananas and squirt a little of chocolate syrup over each serving. Many of you didn’t know how to fake a fried ice cream desert, did you?
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Green Chile Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (198 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 447.2
- Calories from Fat 300
- Total Fat 33.4 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 118.3 mg
- Sodium 303.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 1.9 g
- Protein 30.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
green chile sauce with pork