Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
My husband and I were feeling nostalgic for green chile (we used to live in NM), so we dug into the precious Hatch supply and this is what I came up with. If you can't get ahold of Hatch, try for the most flavorful green enchilada sauce you can find. If you can get Hatch--send some to me LOL! The steps look involved but really this takes no time at all.
- 1 (14 ounce) can green enchilada sauce (preferably Hatch)
- 6 (6 inch) corn tortillas
- 1 1⁄4 cups cooked chicken breasts, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fat free sour cream (to taste)
- 1 cup reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray saute onions, garlic, bell pepper, and corn until tender.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in chicken, salt, and pepper, then add 1/2 c of enchilada sauce. Mix well.
- Spread 1/4 c enchilada sauce on the bottom of an 11x7 inch pan.
- Spread 4 tortillas with sour cream, then place in pan. Pour half the chicken mixture on top.
- Add 1/4 cheese and top with two tortillas.
- Pour 1/4 c enchilada sauce over tortillas, then cover with remaining chicken mixture and 1/4 c cheese.
- Spread 1 T of sour cream on two tortillas, then place them CREAM SIDE DOWN on top of casserole. You will want to layer them crossways from the two tortillas below (trust me, this works).
- Spread 1/4 c enchilada sauce on top of tortillas, then sprinkle with remaining 1/2 c cheese.
- Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cheese is bubbly.
I loved how easy this was to make; also appreciate the quantity. It seems like so many recipes make just too much. It wasn't quite as tasty as I'd like, but I blame that on the sauce I used. I'll use a different one next time. ZWT8
Yum Yum Yum!! I left out the onion in this and made up for it with a little extra green pepper. With leftover chicken this was so quick and easy to make with great flavor. Thanks for sharing your recipe! Made for the Top Favorites of 2009 event
This was a delicious casserole! The first time I made it, I used 6 whole wheat tortillas, the second time 9 corn tortillas (I followed the original directions with 3 layers of tortillas). I used about 1/2 cup of the nonfat sour cream to coat the tortillas well (second time tried it with nonfat yogurt on half and nonfat cream cheese on half - those were both great also). The second time I omitted the cheese, and we really didn't miss it. I only used a pinch of the salt. The Hatch sauce I could find is mild, so I added a light sprinkling of cayenne pepper. Adding diced green chilies would probably be really good too. Thanks for this very yummy New Mexican flavored dish! Served 3 big eaters.