Recipe by teresas
This is out of my cookbook called "Chiles"...enjoy!
Top Review by weekend cooker
The muffins didn't rise as I had hoped, buy Boy were these GOOD ! I used a more mild chili powder, other than made as written,. They were nice, and moist too, and very flavorful. Made for a great addition to dinner with some Southwest burgers, and some corn on the cob. Made for Rookie Tag.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornmeal
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 orange, rind
- 2 green chilies, seeded and chopped
Chile and Lime Butter
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick)
- 1 pinch chili powder
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- To make the muffins, sift the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and chili powder together in a mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, melted butter, and beaten eggs, then fold into the dry mixture.
- Stir in the grated orange rind and the chopped chiles.
- Spoon the batter into a greased muffin pan and bake for about 12 to 15 minutes until firm.
- Remove and set aside on a wire rack.
- To make the chile and lime butter, beat all the ingredients together until soft and creamy.
- Serve with the warm muffins.